What to do When Death Occurs
1) Make an appointment with MCCAUSLAND GARRITY MARCHESANI Funeral Home. (610) 583-0148
2) We will contact your clergy. Decide on time and place of funeral or memorial service. This can be done at the funeral home.
3) The funeral home will assist you in determining the number of copies of the death certificates you will be needing and will order them for you.
4) Make a list of immediate family, close friends and employer or business colleagues. Notify each by phone.
5) Decide on appropriate memorial contributions to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, charity or school).
6) Gather obituary information, including age, place of birth, cause of death, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding work, list of survivors in immediate family and time and place of services. The funeral home will normally write the article and submit to newspapers (newspaper will accept picture and they will be returned).
7) If Social Security checks are automatic deposit, notify the bank of the death.
8) Select pallbearers and notify the funeral home. (Avoid anyone with heart or back difficulties, or make them honorary pallbearers).
9) Plan for distribution of flowers after funeral (church, hospital or rest home)
10) Locate the will and notify lawyer and executor. Notify insurance companies.
11) Check carefully all life and casualty insurance and death benefits, including Social Security, credit union , trade union, fraternal, and military. Check also on income for survivors from these sources.
12) Check promptly on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. Some may carry insurance clauses that will cancel them. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before the payments are due.
13) If deceased was living alone, notify utilities and landlord and tell post office where to send mail.
14) Funeral Director will prepare Social Security Form SSA 721. Check with Social Security to see that SS number is retired.